Sunday, October 18, 2009

Endearing Audrey Niffenegger


I am looking forward to reading Audrey Niffenegger's new book, Her Fearful Symmetry. I enjoyed Time Traveler's Wife.

She seems like a really nice person. This was in The New York Times Book Review this week.

Audrey Niffenegger’s second novel, the ghost story “Her Fearful Symmetry,” enters the hardcover fiction list this week at No. 6. Niffenegger is best known as the author of the mega­selling “Time Traveler’s Wife” (in its 16th week on the trade paperback list), but writing is really a second career for her: for decades, she has been a successful painter and printmaker in Chicago, often exploring images of death or the supernatural. Still, as she told USA Today this month, she doesn’t believe in ghosts, or much else. “I was raised Catholic,” she said, “and that’s a good way to raise an atheist.”

On her website, Niffenegger offers a charming reply to fans who wonder why she doesn’t answer e-mail: “Well, I sometimes manage to write back, but I don’t have a very good batting average, I’m sorry about that. I do read all my e-mail. Then I resolve to answer it after I have some more coffee. Then I end up weeks and weeks behind, and it all starts to seem overwhelming. I am in awe of Jodi Picoult, who answers all her e-mail. You should write to her.”

No comments: