Friday, April 24, 2009

Revolutionary Road - Review

I recently finished reading Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. I found it to be really well-written and quite interesting, and I thought its depiction of life in suburbia, where I live, was well-drawn.

The book focuses on Frank and April Wheeler and their unhappiness in their marriage and their suburban life. Frank hates his white-color job. April feels stifled and unfulfilled at home raising their two kids. They feel superior to the monotony around them, but do they have the really have the courage or the drive to escape it?

I think the thing that was the most haunting is that sense that probably most of us have had at one point or another -- that you are really not as extraordinary as you thought you were.


A sad but beautiful book.

No comments: