Sunday, October 19, 2008

Recipe for First Grade Fun

My first-grade daughter had a great group of friends in her class last year. This year, she only has one of the original group in her class, so we had a get-together for the old gang on Friday.

All five girls came home together on the bus. After a snack and lots of girl-talk, they played while I set up a few crafts for them. I had gotten some plain black hats at Michaels and some fabric paints. They had a great time painting them (although fair warning, I also got a painted chair in the bargain!) Here are three of the hats.



I had also gotten some Halloween themed wooden shapes and foam pumpkins. The girls painted these, and then I applied magnets on the back.



We had pizza and make-your-own sundaes and finished off the evening with sparklers and glow sticks.

My daughter's best friend spent the night, and we had our usual sleepover breakfast of chocolate pancakes.


Chocolate Pancakes (adapted from Recipezaar)

makes 10 pancakes

1 cup milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
mini-chocolate chips

In a small bowl, combine milk, egg and butter; whisk until blended.
In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and salt; mix well.
Add milk mixture; whisk just until dry ingredients are moistened.
(Batter will be slightly lumpy.)
Heat griddle over medium heat until hot. (Drops of water will sizzle, then evaporate.)
For each pancake, pour scant 1/4 cup batter into griddle.
Sprinkle pancakes with mini-chocolate chips.
Cook 1-2 minutes or until batter is set around edges.
Carefully turn over pancake; cook 1-2 minutes or until pancakes are cooked through.
Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar or (as my daughter prefers) with whipped cream!


Everyone had a great time, but I'm glad for a quiet Sunday now!

8 comments:

Kim Caro said...

so fun!
i love choco pancakes!

Tia Colleen said...

Man, I could totally go for a chocolate pancake right now.

Andrea said...

My daughter loves those pancakes. But she knows to ask for them only if it's the night after a sleepover... Chocolate and whipped cream for breakfast?!!!

Quiet City said...

What a lot of fun for your daughter and her friends!

Sandee said...

Oh I love all of this and thank you so much for visiting my blog!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a fun and busy start to the weekend. The girls must have had a blast!

Mary Ann said...

What a fun Mom you are. I bet they had a blast!

Andrea said...

Thanks for your comments! I am lucky to have my wonderful little girl - she is the light of my life!