Monday, June 2, 2008

Tying off


One evening, when I was working long hours in a cubicle in a large firm in Washington, DC, I found myself thinking how few people I was tied into in such a large city. It felt like I was just occupying a point in space with very little holding me there. I vowed to change that, and many decisions I have made since then have been based on my need to feel more connected with those around me.

One thing I love about artisan jewelry is that it extends my sense of connectedness to others. I recently purchased a beautiful bracelet from Rahs Designs (http://www.rahsdesigns.etsy.com/). This bracelet, the Fort Bragg Glass Beach, was created by Rahs Designs as a reflection of time spent collecting sea glass at Fort Bragg.

I loved that bracelet the minute I saw it because it was so beautiful. But I also loved it because it reminded me of growing up, collecting sea glass with my family at Compo Beach. My mom and I would spend hours combing the shore, finding smooth, sea-washed glass in shades of browns, blues, greens, and frosted whites.

I love that I can wear a bracelet that means something to its creator and has significance for me too. It reminds me of Indra's Net. We are all jewels suspended from an infinite net, each of us reflecting those around us and sparkling more brilliantly because of others.

2 comments:

Rosebud Collection said...

What a pretty bracelet. I really think sea glass is beautiful..Have some in a jar..Your meaning was really nice.

Andrea said...

Thanks, rosebud. We did put all our sea glass in one of those huge jars - it was the 70s. I have no idea what my mother ever did with it. I'll have to ask her!